New Versions - Tregelles Greek New TestamentWritten by Michael Hanel on June 17th, 2009
A little over two weeks ago, on the Evangelical Textual Criticism blog Dirk Jongkind announced the release of a digital edition of the Tregelles Greek New Testament. Thanks to his contributions, as well as the other people who worked on this project, the team was able to produce a digital edition of Tregelles’ text as well as a secondary text which consists of corrections to Tregelles’ text.
Because they produced the text under the attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license, I was able to re-compile their texts for use in BibleWorks. If you want to know more about the Tregelles text itself or the Tregelles project, check out the official website and the Introductory PDF. The PDF is especially valuable because it documents the 469 changes they made to the original Tregelles text.
As far as the BibleWorks implementation, I only have a few things to say.
- Whereas the Tregelles project noted section and paragraph breaks, I have simply dumbed those breaks down into paragraph breaks which are marked by the ¶ in the text.
- The Pericope of Adultery (John 7:53-8:11) is not part of the main text of Tregelles, but he does include in the note readings according to the D codex and Stephanus. There wasn’t a great way to include these, but both are given one after another (first D and then Stephanus) in the BibleWorks text under the same verse. Example John 8:1 reads [[ Ιησους δε επορευθη εις το ορος των ελαιων.]] [[Ἰησοῦς δὲ ἐπορεύθη εἰς τὸ ὄρος τῶν ἐλαιῶν ]]. Both readings are in double brackets to show that they are not part of the main text. The first set of double brackets is the D text, it does not have accents and smooth breathing marks. The second text is from the Stephanus reading.
- There are two versions (TNT1 and TNT2) available for download here. TNT1 represents the original Tregelles reading and TNT2 represents the corrected version. You will most likely want to use TNT2, but TNT1 was provided for the sake of comparison.
- These files are also being released with verse mapping files thanks to the kind and efficient work of Mark Eddy.
- The re-use of these files still remains under the Creative Commons License of Dirk Jongkind and the Tregelles project.
DOWNLOAD TNT1 (Uncorrected Tregelles Greek NT) (unzip all files to your \databases\ subfolder)
DOWNLOAD TNT2 (Corrected Tregelles Greek NT) (unzip all files to your \databases\ subfolder)